By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire damages quilt store
Placeholder Image

A fire in two trash cans ignited a blaze in a Turlock quilting store that destroyed approximately $175,000 in property and contents, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The fire was initially reported around 10 a.m. Saturday in an alley way behind Cloth and Quilts at 627 E. Main St.

When fire fighters arrived, they found two plastic trash cans fully ablaze. The cans were up against a metal roll up door and the fire fighters quickly ascertained the interior had ignited from radiant heat, Turlock Fire Battalion Chief Gary Lunsford said.

The interior was used as a storage room for the shop. Crews were able to keep the flames from encroaching on the store’s showroom.

The majority of the property loss was caused by smoke damage, Lunsford said.

Three fire engines and 11 fire personnel were on scene for about an hour and a half. The fire remains under investigation.

To contact Sabra Stafford, e-mail or call 634-9141 ext. 2002.