By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire ignites at Turlock apartment complex
fire 9-23
Flames were pouring out of a window of a downstairs unit at Walnut Woods Apartments in Turlock on Wednesday. - photo by Photo Contributed

Faulty wiring sparked a fire in a Turlock apartment Wednesday that was kept from spreading to adjoining buildings through a quick response from the Turlock Fire Department.

The fire erupted shortly before noon at the Walnut Woods Apartments at 275 E. Minnesota Avenue.

The first crews to arrive at the scene found flames pouring from a window of a downstairs unit and crawling up towards the second story, said Turlock Fire Chief Robert Talloni.

Firefighters made sure all the residents and pets had been evacuated and quickly brought the fire into full containment, which kept it from burning throughout the complex. A total of four families were displaced from their homes because of the fire.

The cause of the fire was determined to be faulty electrical wiring in a bedroom closet of the downstairs apartment.

Turlock Fire responded with four chief officers and four engine companies while Turlock Rural and Ceres Fire provided city coverage during the incident.