By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire ignites at vacant Turlock home
Turlock fire
A fire broke out just around 3:30 p.m. Saturday in a home in the 2200 block of Georgia Way (Photo contributed).

A Turlock home that was supposed to be vacant went up in flames on Saturday causing a significant amount of damage.

The fire broke out just around 3:30 p.m. Saturday in the 2200 block of Georgia Way. The home is owned by HUD and was supposed to be vacant, but someone was staying there illegally, the Turlock Fire Department reported.

The fire was not a malicious act, but rather negligence, according to the fire department.

The first firefighters to arrive at the home found heavy smoke pouring out of it and flames coming from the attic.

Multiple Turlock Fire resources were committed to other calls at the time of the fire, so the mutual aid agreement was used to get three additional engines and a battalion chief from other agencies.

The fire was brought under control in approximately 15 minutes. Crews remained at the scene for several hours for overhaul.

The following day the fire department was once again called out to the Georgia Way home for light smoke coming from the back of the home. It was quickly brought under control.

The fires remain under investigation.