By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Flames race through homes attic
Placeholder Image

Welding work sparked a fire Thursday that caused significant damage to a Turlock home and displaced a family of three.

There were no injuries reported from the residential fire at 430 E. Linwood Thursday afternoon.

Turlock firefighters were dispatched to the scene around 1 p.m. by workers who noticed smoke coming from the attic.

The TFD responded with three engines, one truck, and 16 firefighters.

The firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within 15 minutes and conducted some salvage operations before the roof collapsed. Crews remained at the scene for about two hours.

The cause of the fire was traced back to welding being done on refrigeration lines outside the home and going into the attic. Insulation in the attic ignited and spread the flames, TFD Battalion Chief Gary Carlson reported.

The two adults and one teenager living at the home were given assistance by the Red Cross for clothing, food and shelter needs.

The damage to the home was estimated at $80,000 by the fire department.