By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Toaster sparks fire
Placeholder Image

An unattended toaster is to blame for a house fire that caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The TFD said the fire could have been much worse if not for the quick actions of a neighbor.

The fire was reported around 12:30 p.m. Friday in the 4600 block of McKenna Drive.

The fire department said the toaster sparked a fire that set the counter and adjacent cabinets ablaze.

The homeowner was outside and was alerted to the fire by the smoke detectors.

A neighbor ran to the house with a dry-chemical extinguisher and was able to squelch the flames prior to the fire department’s arrival. The neighbor did sustain a minor burn on his finger, the fire department reported.