By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Turlock bar charred by fire

A fire believed to be electrical in origin ignited in a Turlock bar Saturday afternoon, causing an estimated $60,000 in damages, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The fire at El Jaliciense Bar at 142 S. First Street was reported at 3:54 p.m. Saturday.

The first fire crews arriving at the scene found heavy smoke pouring out of the business. A search of the building showed it to be empty, the fire department reported.

Fire fighters were able to keep the flames to a small area of the bar, though smoke damage was present the business, the fire department reported.

A total of four fire engines and 13 personnel responded to the fire. The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes of arrival, with extensive overhaul to the building lasting another two hours.

The bar was closed at the time the fire broke out.