By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Murder charge lodged against Delhi mother
Kalena Marie Olson

The Merced County District Attorney’s Office has filed new charges against a Delhi mother, accusing her of homicide for the death of her 2-year-old daughter.

Kalena Marie Olson, 22, is now facing charges of murder and assaulting a child causing death, according to the district attorney’s office. Her boyfriend, Sergio Angel Zamora, 23, of Delhi, is facing the same charges for the death of 2-year-old Hennessy Fagin.

Olson previously was facing two felony charges of child endangerment, one for Hennessy and one for her 3-year-old sister.

Merced County Sheriff’s detectives stated the toddler died from injuries she had sustained over an ongoing period of physical abuse and that her 3-year-old sister had suffered the same abuse.

Around 12:30 a.m. April 21, sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to a home in the 9600 block of Hillside Drive in Hilmar for a report of deceased child, said sheriff spokesman Deputy Delray Shelton.

Merced County Pathologist Dr. Mark A. Super deemed the cause of death as sudden unexplained death that was likely subsequent to asphyxia. Super stated the child’s sudden death “paints a picture of a battered child, who’s brain was deprived of oxygen.” The injuries were similar to those of suffocation.

Shelton said both children had similar injuries, but that the 2-year-old’s proved fatal. The criminal complaint filed in the case states the two children were placed into “circumstances likely to produce great bodily harm or death” from Jan. 1 to April 21.

Early on into the investigation detectives charged Olson with felony child abuse and booked her into the Merced County Jail. A similar warrant was issued for Zamora, but he could not be located, Shelton said. Olson was later released without charges officially being filed as the investigation continued.

Olson and Zamora were later taken into custody on Aug. 16 in Turlock.

Law enforcement received information the pair were staying at a home on South Avenue in Turlock and surrounded the residence on Aug. 16. Zamora tried to evade capture by running from the home, but he was apprehended after a short foot pursuit. Olson surrendered herself to police custody about 10 minutes after Zamora tried to flee.

Both Zamora and Olson have entered not guilty pleas to the charges against them. A preliminary hearing has been set for Jan. 6, 2015. Both remain in custody in lieu of $1.1 million bail for each.