Since 1927, the District Office Fountain has welcomed Turlock students, parents, teachers and visitors alike to the epicenter of Turlock Unified School District. The historic water feature was originally a gift from the Turlock High School Class of 1922, Class of 1923 and Class of 1927, but decades of use and exposure left the fountain in need of restoration in recent years. Following a decade of community-wide support and donations — spearheaded by the Turlock Historical Society Board of Directors — fountain sculptor Ira Kessey (pictured) worked tirelessly over the summer to bring the District Office Fountain back to its former glory, and the effort is set to be celebrated during a special dedication ceremony later this month.
Approximately 200 donors contributed to the fountain’s restoration, which is once again topped with a boy and a dolphin carved out of pink granite — an element to the fountain that’s been missing for over 10 years.
The District Office Fountain Dedication will take place at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 23 at the fountain, located in front of the District Office at 1574 E. Canal Drive.