By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire at pet shop
Placeholder Image

An electrical spark behind a fish tank display ignited a fire that damaged a Turlock pet store.

All the animals except a few turtles were reported to have been safely removed from the fire at Pet Avenue at 2445 Geer Rd., according to the Turlock Fire Department. This included the fish in the fish tanks.

The fire broke out shortly before 7:30 p.m. Friday and was reported by store employees.

The fire department said the fire originated at the bottom of three fish tank displays and traveled up the rear of the wall.

The smoke and flames triggered the store’s sprinkler system, which helped fire fighters douse the flames before they spread further.

The water from sprinkler system did cause some moderate damage to the pet store and to two neighboring businesses. The businesses, Yonan’s Flower Shop and Yonan’s Jewelry, had water damage on the floor, but they were able to remove it and gave temporary shelter to the displaced animals, the fire department reported.

The fire was extinguished within a matter of minutes, but crews remained on scene for about an hour and a half to assist with salvage and overhaul.

The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage, according to the fire department.

To contact Sabra Stafford, e-mail or call 634-9141 ext. 2002.