By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Violence mars new year celebrations
Placeholder Image
The new year got off to a bloody and busy start for the Turlock Police department with three large fights reported over the first two days of 2010.
Several people were injured during the fights and one person was taken into custody.
The first fight reported to the police department was in the 2700 block of Zinfandel Lane around 1:40 a.m. on Friday. The report indicated a large group was fighting and that someone was possibly waving a gun around. When officers arrived they found multiple victims and large amounts of blood pooled  in front and throughout the residence. According to the police report, the most significantly injured was a man with a large laceration to his head, caused by being struck by brass knuckles.
According to witnesses and the injured, the individuals who started the fight were a group of Hispanic men that crashed the party. At least one of the men was seen waving around a small caliber semi-automatic pistol.
It’s believed the suspects fled in a black newer model Cadillac sedan with tinted windows.
The second report of a fight came in around 3 a.m. Friday in the 500 block of N. Soderquist Road. The caller stated a man had been hit in the face with a beer bottle, but when officers arrived they came across a scene of a large disturbance in the front yard of a residence involving multiple people.
Several people took off running as the officers approached. Officers chased down one man over a fence, believing him to be a possible suspect, only to find he was a victim as well, having received an injury to his mouth.
According to the police report, there was no evidence of beer bottles having been thrown, but one victim did say he was “jumped” by some “Denair Town Boys.” He was transported to an area hospital with significant facial injuries.
The third large fight of the new year happened about 24 hours later, when a report came in at 2 a.m. Saturday about a brawl at the Mar Y Sol Restaurant. Officers arriving to the 1142 W. Main St. address found several victims of a fight that had just occurred in the restaurant. At least one person was stabbed during the altercation and was taken to an area hospital, along with two other injured individuals.
The suspect in the stabbing had fled the scene prior to the officers arrival, but one man, Jonathan Alvarez, 25, was taken into custody. Alvarez was identified by others as having thrown bottles at people during the melee. He was booked for aggravated assault.
To contact Sabra Stafford, e-mail or call 634-9141 ext. 2002.