By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Marshals take Turlock man in for murder
19-year-old linked to Stockton shooting
cahauri williams
Cahauri Williams, pictured here from his Facebook profile, was charged with homicide for a fatal shooting in Stockton.

A Turlock man was taken into custody by a U.S. Marshals Service task force Thursday for a Stockton homicide.

The arrest of Cahauri Williams, 19, prompted a lockdown of a Turlock daycare and Turlock Junior High School.

Williams was wanted by the Stockton Police Department as a person of interest in the fatal shooting of Phi Vong, 38, of Elk Grove. Through the course of the investigation Stockton detectives determined Williams was staying in Turlock, said Stockton Police spokesperson Officer Joseph Silva.

Vong was shot dead the night of Dec. 16, 2013 in the 9300 block of Lariat Lane in a residential neighborhood in Stockton, near McNair High School. Vong was shot at least once and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Williams makes the second suspect arrested in the case. In January, Stockton investigators arrested Kalom McCoy, 33, in Patterson on homicide charges for Vong’s death.

The U.S. Marshals Service task force, along with the Turlock Police Department, set up surveillance Thursday morning of Williams’ suspected whereabouts in the 2500 block of N. Walnut Road. As a precaution the daycare located next door, A Special Place, was put on lockdown and officers were posted outside in the event the center would need to be evacuated, said Turlock Police spokesperson Officer Mayra Lewis.

At one point a vehicle believed to have Williams inside it left the residence. Turlock Junior High School was ordered to go on lockdown while the vehicle was stopped nearby. It was determined Williams was not in the vehicle and the lockdown for the junior high school was lifted 10 minutes after it was initiated.

The daycare remained on lockdown for the duration of the operation.

The task force learned Williams was in the residence. His mother arrived at the scene and through a series of phone calls with her and the use of the public address system, law enforcement was able to convince him to come out and surrender. He was taken into custody without incident.

Williams was questioned by Stockton detectives and was charged with homicide, Silva said. He was booked into the San Joaquin County Jail.

Williams is not unknown to the Turlock Police Department. Last year he was taken into custody on separate incidences of possession of narcotics and driving under the influence.

On Feb. 14 he was arrested and charged with commercial burglary, possession of a concealed firearm and possession of a loaded firearm after he allegedly stole a cell phone from the Turlock Target store on Countryside Drive. He was caught when he attempted to activate the stolen phone at the nearby AT&T store. The responding officer noticed he tossed his sweater away and inside the sweater they found a loaded gun.